Thursday, June 09, 2005

Books Books !!

Robbie of Scientific Masala Book tagged me so now it’s my turn to share

Number of books I own: 40+ (I havent' exactly counted them)

They range from comics like Amar Chitra Katha, Pancha Tantra, Mahabharata, and Amma by Ra Ganapathy, Upanishads, and other spiritual books. I did have a good collection of classics ones (R L Stevenson, Shakespeare and others) I am not sure how many of them are still there.

Nowadays I am mostly into Science and fantasy fictions.

The books I recently read are: Dan Brown’s Angels and Demons, Da Vinci Code, and Yann Martel’s Life of Pi.

Currently reading Starborne by Robert Silverberg

Here are my all time favorites in no particular order and famous quotes from them

Treasure Island by R.L Stevenson

"Fifteen men on the dead man's chest Yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum!"

Who can forget that pirate song and that scheming and clever pirate Long John Silver.

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

Count: “An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.”
Count: “Only a man who has felt ultimate despair is capable of feeling ultimate bliss.”


The theme of The Count of Monte Cristo is one of vengeance and forgiveness, power and powerlessness. When Dantes is unfairly given a life-prison sentence by his enemies (Villefort, Danglars, and Fernand), he spends every waking moment planning his revenge. As soon as Dantes miraculously escapes and returns to the world with riches, he sees it as a sign that God has opened for him the door of revenge.


Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain

Is there anyone who has read "Tom Sawyer" who hasn't on some level identified with its hero?

Tom is a lovable rogue, an incurable romantic who has to deal with his loving and nagging Aunt Polly, chafes under the constraints of school and its tyrannical headmaster, cons his friends into whitewashing Aunt Polly's fence (probably the best loved chapter in the book), runs away with Huck and turns up safe and sound at his own funeral, saves a condemned man's life, and like every other red-blooded American boy, searches for buried treasure (and unlike any other red-blooded American boy, actually finds it.

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle

“My name is Sherlock Holmes. It is my business to know what other people don't know.”
“It’s elementary My Dear Watson”

Those two famous line is enough to say about that Lovely and amazing detective Sherlock Holmes.

Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

It is a far, far, better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far, better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

David Copperfield by Charles Dickens


Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.


The Tag now goes to Naryananan Venkat, Thennavan, Senthil , Ram C
, Saryana Kishore and Praveen

No comments: